Learn how to launch and scale your business with the Startup Equation, an amazing new visual tool and methodology created by Ja-Naé Duane and her husband, Steven Fisher.
For over 20 years, Ja-Naé has focused on one mission: to make life better for as many people as possible. With that goal in mind, she founded or co-founded five different organizations, including Wild Women Entrepreneurs, The Leaders, the National Artistic Effort and the Massachusetts Artist Leaders Coalition.
She currently leads the Revolution Institute while also teaching at Emerson College and Northeastern University. At Clark University, she holds the position of Entrepreneur-in-Residence.
The author of How to Start Your Business with $100 and The Startup Equation: A Visual Guidebook to Building Your Startup, Ja-Naé excels at advising startups because she understands from personal experience what it means to be an social entrepreneur. Over the years, her work has caught the attention of The Associated Press, NPR, Classical Singer Magazine, The Boston Globe and Business Week. In 2007, she was nominated as one of New England’s Most Innovative Leaders.
Topics we discussed:
- How she studied opera and began her career as an opera singer and sang around the world, including at the White House
- How she changed course in 2008 when the economy collapsed, including running social media for a site for networking events called Rise.com
- What that led to—starting Wild Woman Entrepreneurs with three other women and $100 – that quickly grew to 55 chapters in seven countries in less than nine months
- Exactly how they invested that first $100 (and why bartering for certain services was essential to their growth)
- Other tips to leverage the resources you have and growth hack your products or services
- How she allocates time today to help other entrepreneurs who are just starting out (and her advice for those who are seeking “free” advice)
- How she and her husband came up with their book, The Startup Equation — and what the “equation” looks like depending on what kind of business you want to start
- How the equation changes as your business grows
- What their Startup Periodic Table of Elements is about
- How you can use it to pivot your business (and why it’s like a “choose your own adventure” type of book with over 140 infographics and 40 interviews with entrepreneurs from different industries around the world)
SiteGround is a top web host for startups — with plans starting at just $3.95 per month.
LeadPages let’s you launch and test landing pages, pop-up sign up forms and more. Find out why it is the industry’s leading solution for landing pages.
Increase your visibility, thought leadership and lead generation efforts by being a guest on top podcasts. Learn how the experts at Interview Valet can propel your business to the next level.
Startup Equation book (Amazon affiliate link)
[share title=”SHARE THIS” facebook=”true” twitter=”true” google_plus=”true” linkedin=”true” pinterest=”true” reddit=”true” email=”true”]
Join our newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email—and
a free copy of our Ultimate Business Checklist.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
Also published on Medium.